When I first learned that we would be reading Krik? Krak! a collection of short stories on the various components of the Haitian culture, I thought this would be another depressing and dismal novel about victims of society. It didn't take long however, to be drawn into a complicated and impoverished culture, from the close-up perspectives of various individuals in the novel. I began to see, feel and experience what they were going through. It was shockingly clear, how wide the contrast of my comfortable world is to the poor and heartbreaking world Haitians come from, and I feel very fortunate to be who I am and where I am in this world. It was also evident that in order for the author Edwidge Danticat to convey her message of the suffering that the Haitians faced and provoke emotions from the reader, that her narrative and imagery would include disturbing depictions, sad facts, and not sugar-coat anything. For me, even though the facts of this almost pr...
Comments
Post a Comment